The Principality envisions Monte-Carlo: 1863
The history of Monte-Carlo starts on the Principality’s rocky hill where farmers grow Olive trees and shepherds lead their flocks to graze…
In 1863, Prince Charles III established by Sovereign Decree, the “Société des Bains de Mer et du Cercle des Etrangers” and its first enterprise, the Casino de Monte-Carlo, came into being, marking a turning point in Monaco’s history and the birth of a legend.
During the ensuing years, the Hôtel de Paris, Monaco’s most prestigious luxury hotel, and the Café de Paris opened their doors nearby and an entire town, named Monte-Carlo (Mount Charles) in 1866, flourished.
The über entrepreneurs, husband and wife François & Marie Blanc almost singlehandedly transformed the Principality, and with the completion of the railroad in 1868, Monte-Carlo cemented its position as the premiere destination for Europe’s elite. In the 20th century, the legend of Monte-Carlo blossomed throughout the Belle Époque and Art Deco eras, the grand balls and glamorous galas of the 50s, 60s and 70s.
Today, it is the world’s most discerning travelers who flock to gaze at the Principality’s sumptuous architecture, sunny skies, sparkling Mediterranean, and to enjoy a superlative calendar of world-class cultural, sporting and business events, superb cuisine, legendary hospitality, and its enchanting lifestyle…
Monte-Carlo SBM Today: 2013
For 150 years, the Monte-Carlo SBM group has been managing a unique heritage. Its activities encompass tourism, leisure and business, casino gaming, gastronomy, health and wellness, culture and sports. Stylish, glamorous, with modern yet traditional hospitality, its many enterprises are at the very heart of the legend. Today the group’s impressive portfolio includes:
- 5 CASINOS including the world-famous Casino de Monte Carlo
- 4 HOTELS, ranked among the world’s finest: the Hôtel de Paris, the Hôtel Hermitage, the Monte-Carlo Beach Hotel & the Monte Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort
- 33 distinguished RESTAURANTS, many Michelin-starred
- Les Thermes Marins Monte Carlo and Spa Cinq Mondes, amongst Europe’s most beautiful SPAS
- Chic BARS and nightclubs including the legendary Jimmy’z,
- and many partnerships with Monaco’s best cultural and sporting establishments, combined with high-tech facilities and amenities for enjoyable and productive business trips…